Bad breath is one of the most difficult dental problems to self-diagnose, as most of us don’t notice our own breath.
And in fact, we don’t often think about our breath at all. Which is why many of our patients have questions about bad breath.
The good news is that at Your Gold Coast Dentist, we have answers to them!
To help you understand bad breath better, we’re going to share with you some at-home tests to help determine if you suffer from it, some questions to test your knowledge about it, and some ideas of how it can be treated, both at home and at Your Gold Coast Dentist.
Do I have bad breath?
It can often be difficult to tell. If people rub their noses or step back when you start talking, you may be getting a subtle clue.
If you suspect you might have bad breath, it is important to discover if you do, as bad breath can be so destructive to business, personal, and romantic relationships.
With that in mind, here are four tests to do at home:
- Wrist test. You can tell if your breath is stale by licking the inside of your wrist, allowing it to dry for a minute and sniffing the residue. You can also do this on the back of your hand.
- Test with the mirror. Here is another easy at-home test: stick your tongue out in front of a mirror, pushing your tongue out as far as possible. If you see a white coloured film on your tongue, you might have bad breath. Smelly bacteria can linger on this bio-film layer and give off a bad smell.
- This is the boldest test of all because it requires someone you trust and who is honest. Others may notice your bad breath but avoid telling you because they didn’t want to embarrass you. So, if you know someone you trust, just take the leap and ask them. If your breath is bad, they’ll likely be relieved to be able to tell you so.
- Use a kit. If you can’t muster the nerve to ask someone, consider a home testing kit. These kits can be found in chemists, and are relatively inexpensive. If the results are clear after you put some saliva on it, you don’t need to worry; but if it comes out blue, your breath isn’t as fresh as it might be.
Practical questions about bad breath
At Your Gold Coast Dentist, we have answered hundreds, if not thousands, of questions about bad breath.
Here are some of the more notable ones:
Is it true that eating apples and celery can improve your breath?
Correct! Eating more vegetables and fruit may decrease bad breath.
Vegetables and fruit contain a lot of water, which helps keep your mouth moist. This supports saliva, which is nature’s way of keeping your breath clean.
Can garlic and onions make your breath smell bad even after you’ve brushed your teeth and rinsed with mouthwash?
Yes! After being digested, a smelly substance in these foods is absorbed into your bloodstream and transferred to your lungs, where it is breathed out as gas — gas that makes your breath smell!
How long a piece of dental floss should I use?
- 6 inches
- 10 inches
- 12 inches
- 18 inches
Most dentists recommend using 18 inches of floss, wound around the middle finger of one hand, with the remainder wound around the middle finger of your other hand.
If I have bad breath, is my child is more likely to have bad breath?
Children are not more prone to bad breath if their mothers have bad breath, according to a study in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry journal.
The threat of bad breath
Bad breath can be more than just a dental issue. It can be a symptom of dangerous medical conditions, including diabetes,
respiratory infections, or liver or kidney disease.
If your bad breath isn’t the result of issues with your teeth or gums, you may have to visit your doctor for an additional diagnosis of your condition.
Bad breath can be a vexing problem, but you needn’t suffer it alone. At Your Gold Coast Dentist, we can diagnose the reasons for your bad breath, and help you fight it.
Getting the most at Your Gold Coast Dentist!
Your Gold Coast Dentist is your perfect dentist in the Parkwood area.
Our practice combines the most advanced dental techniques available with high levels of skill and experience.
We provide the highest level of quality and comfort for patients of all kinds. From routine checkups to the most complicated procedures, Your Gold Coast Dentist can treat you and your family with the care and respect you deserve!
All Patients Promotions
- PAY NO GAP– NO GAP for Check-Upand Clean (every six months and with any health insurance)
- NO HEALTH INSURANCE?– Only $149 for Check-Up and Clean