Children’s Dental Emergencies
From making sure that the child brushes his/her teeth to keeping dental appointments, parents are the ones in charge.
Dental emergencies are one aspect of oral health care that can happen to anyone. With children’s carefree and explorative nature, they are actually more vulnerable to these emergencies than other age groups.
The best way to help your child in case of a dental emergency is to know the right first aid steps and have a trusted go-to dentist. Your Gold Coast Dentist provides same day dental emergency appointments to tend to dental emergencies as soon as possible.
Common Dental Emergencies In Children
Knowing what to do in case of an emergency greatly affects the outcome. Hence we have compiled three of the most common dental emergencies in children and their first aid steps. Take a look.
- Check the aching area for any stuck food debris.
- Help your child brush his/her teeth thoroughly and then floss.
- Gargle with an antiseptic mouthwash, repeatedly.
- For pain relief, apply clove oil to the aching area. Do not put aspirin on the gums to avoid a chemical burn.
- Go to your dentist immediately.
Knocked out tooth
- Pick the tooth by the crown. Do not touch the root.
- If the tooth is dirty, rinse for no more than 10 seconds. Do not scrape, brush, or rub.
- For a permanent tooth, reinsert the tooth in its socket and let your child bite down gently on a towel.
- For a baby tooth, soak it in milk, saline, or saliva.
- Go to your dentist within 30 minutes of the injury.
- Let your child rinse his/her mouth to remove all broken parts of the braces.
- Gently ease misplaced wire into place using the eraser end of a pencil. Make sure that it is clean.
- Cover the edges with cotton or gauze on your way to the dentist.
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule will continue in 2019
In the news:
The Australian Dental Association (ADA) has applauded announcement by the Turnbull Government and its Health Minister, Greg Hunt, to reinstate the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) cap to $1,000.
“The Minister for Health, the Hon Greg Hunt … advised the ADA that a number of changes to the CDBS have been finalised and will take effect on 1 January 2019.”
Bulk Bill for children who are eligible for MEDICARE CHILD DENTAL BENEFIT SCHEDULE
Up to $1000 worth of dental treatments over two years.
Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment In Gold Coast
At Your Gold Coast Dentist, anything that threatens your oral health is handled with care and urgency. Our skilled team is experienced in handling dental emergencies of young and adult alike.
Same day dental emergency appointment available!
Convenient hours (evening and Saturday appointments available)
Accessible location and convenient hours (evening and Saturday appointments available)