The first full week of August (6-12) is Dental Health Week! Dental Health Week is the Australian Dental Association’s (ADA) annual oral health promotion event, and Your Gold Coast Dentist is happy to spread the word about this effort to improve Australian dental health.
In general, Dental Health Week has three objectives:
Promote oral health education and awareness in the general community
- Motivate and educate dental professionals to promote oral health
- Encourage ongoing collaboration within the dental profession
And each year it has specific messages for Australia. For 2018 those are:
- Brush teeth twice daily with a fluoride toothpaste
- Clean in-between teeth once a day (with floss or interdental brushes)
- Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
- Regularly visit the dentist for dental check-ups and preventive treatment.
And while you may have heard these messages before, the ADA repeats them because Australian dental health is not always all it can be.
65% of Australians haven’t visited a dentist in two years, just under 50% of Australians only brush once-a-day, nearly 40% never floss or clean in-between their teeth, and 75% of young people (14-18 years) consume too much sugar.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at this year’s ADA messages.
Brush teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste
The ADA recommends:
- Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, twice a day.
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush with a flexible neck and small head.
- Squeeze a pea-sized blob of toothpaste onto a soft bristled brush.
- Clean your teeth systematically, holding the toothbrush at the gumline at a 45 degree angle.
- Don’t push too hard – too much pressure can damage gums and tooth enamel.
- Brush all the surfaces of your teeth paying special attention to where the tooth meets the gum. This is where plaque builds up.
- Remember to brush behind your front teeth using the tip of the toothbrush.
- Choose toothpaste with fluoride and replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
There are other considerations as well. We recommend you brush your tongue to reduce the bacteria in your mouth and help your breath stay fresh.
When you are done brushing, spit out the toothpaste but don’t rinse with water. Leaving toothpaste residue on your teeth gives your teeth extra ongoing protection.
If you have limited manual dexterity, an electric toothbrush may be a good option since its motor does a lot of the brushing work.
Clean in-between teeth once a day (with floss or interdental brushes)
Think about you’re the surfaces of your teeth. Do you think about the surfaces between the teeth? Probably not, but these surfaces need to be cleaned, just like the front and back. For this, we have floss and interdental tools.
Here’s what the ADA has to say about flossing:
- Make flossing part of your oral hygiene
- Floss at least once a day.
- Ask your dentist to demonstrate the correct flossing technique.
- Ask your dentist if interdental aids will assist you in cleaning between teeth.
- Your children should floss too, once they have two teeth that touch.
If flossing is difficult for you, Your Gold Coast Dentist can suggest alternative interdental cleaning options.
Eat a healthy balanced diet and limit sugar intake
Your diet affects your bones, gums, teeth, and soft tissue. To ensure that your diet supports your oral health, here are some good habits to consider:
- Drink lots of water – it’s the best beverage choice.
- Limit snacking between meals – food eaten during snacking is worse for the teeth than food eaten during meals.
- Watch what you eat – cut back on sugar, eat healthy foods.
- Gum – chew sugar-free gum to neutralise tooth decay causing acid attacks.
Your Gold Coast Dentist for check-ups and preventive treatment
Regular visits to are critical for your dental health. Visit Your Gold Coast Dentist every six months! We can discover problems that you might be unaware of.
Your Gold Coast Dentist offers these Dental Health Week promotions to maximise your oral health.
- PAY NO GAP (for all patients) – NO GAP for Check-Up and Clean (with any health insurance)
- NO HEALTH INSURANCE? – Only $149 for Check-Up and Clean
- Child Dental Benefits Schedule – Bulk Bill for children who are eligible for Medicare Child Dental Benefit Schedule: Up to $1,000 worth of dental treatments over two years
- Dental Emergency – Same Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available
Getting the most at Your Gold Coast Dentist
Our practice combines the most advanced dental techniques available with high levels of skill and experience. We provide the highest level of quality and comfort for patients of all kinds.
From routine checkups to the most complicated procedures, Your Gold Coast Dentist can treat you and your family with the care and respect you deserve!
Call (07) 5594 6699 or visit us at Gold Coast Parkwood Piazza, Shop 10/300 Olsen Avenue in Parkwood near Southport North.
Evening and Saturday appointments available!